How do I Become a Piano Mover?

To become a piano mover, you have several options, and the path you choose will likely be determined what options are available to you, your personal moving experience, and how qualified you want to be for the job. There are no regulations or licenses requiring you to call yourself a piano mover, so there’s nothing stopping you from simply claiming to be one. However, if you want to learn how to do the job properly and have the necessary skills, equipment, and knowledge, you should look for work with an established moving company that specializes in piano moving. After that, you can either stay with the company or start your own business and work as a piano mover.

A piano mover is someone who, like any other type of mover, moves general equipment and boxes, but also has the specific knowledge and equipment required to move a piano safely. For interior moves, sliders are placed beneath the piano’s legs to make it easier to move around the room. For long-distance moves or loading into a truck, a piano is frequently covered in protective cloth or moving blankets. For moving into a truck or between buildings, the piano can be lifted and set on its side onto a piano dolly or similar wheeled platform. To become a piano mover, you must understand how to properly execute each of these steps in order to avoid injuring yourself or the piano.

The simplest and quickest way to become a piano mover is to join a well-established moving company. It’s possible that you’ll have to work for a few different companies before you find one that provides piano moving services. Consider contacting local music schools or musicians and asking who they use to move pianos; this will give you a good idea of which companies are known for providing high-quality piano moving services. Although certain equipment and techniques make piano moving easier, you must be in good physical condition and have adequate upper body strength to become a piano mover.

While it is not required to become a piano mover, make sure that any company you work for or start for yourself has Workplace Safety and Insurance Board coverage (WSIB). The WSIB, formerly known as Workman’s Comp and still referred to as such, insures injuries sustained while moving. If you do not have this type of insurance, any injuries you sustain while working must be covered the company or homeowner for whom you are moving. It’s best to make sure you’re insured to avoid potential insurance headaches or financial difficulties; if you’re properly covered, more clients will be willing to hire you.