What Does a Realty Specialist Do?

A realty specialist works for one of the many government agencies in the United States and may act as a consultant on government property management. This includes ensuring that government property is used as intended or zoned, as well as advising the government on the best ways to use newly purchased or vacant land. A realty specialist can work for any government agency that owns, needs to acquire, or evaluates the use of federally owned land or property. Working in this position necessitates a thorough understanding of lease agreements, real estate laws, and surface and mineral rights.

A real estate specialist must have current US citizenship and the ability to pass a criminal background check. An applicant must follow a specific procedure set forth the US government. Those who have previously worked for the federal government must update their most recent SF-50 form, which includes information from their most recent performance appraisal. A copy of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty in the Armed Forces must be presented veterans. Real estate experts must have no financial or personal stake in companies with a stake in US federal land or properties.

The educational requirements for this position differ depending on the government service (GS) level at which a realty specialist is hired, and the salary ranges for realty specialists are also determined the GS level at which they can work. A GS-5, for example, must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or three years of federal government experience, including one year at the GS-4 level. A master’s degree or two years of progressively higher education leading to a master’s degree is required for a GS-9. Those seeking employment at the GS-11 level must have a PhD, equivalent doctoral degree, or three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. All of these real estate specialist positions require previous experience at a lower GS level.

Real estate specialists may be required to perform any duties related to the use or acquisition of lands or property within US borders while working for a federal agency. The Federal Bureau of Land Management (BLM), for example, oversees over 250 million acres of land, mostly in the western United States. A realty specialist working for the BLM may be required to assist in the determination of subsurface mineral rights and any related environmental issues. A real estate specialist working for the Smithsonian Institute, which is constantly expanding and making room for its vast collection of antiquities, must be connected to or have extensive knowledge of local or regional real estate markets. A real estate specialist may have extensive knowledge and experience with commercial property leases, local real estate laws, negotiating real estate contracts for acquisition or permits, property inspection, and appraisal.